Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Generations

It is funny how other generations in your family viewed if your were a good housewife by if and how you baked. I was lucky enough to have five generations on both sides of my family when I was born.

So for many years even into my working life I have many memories, mainly of three of my great grandparents. Great grandad Charlie and his wife Lillian (my mother's father's parents), and Great nanny Pem as we called her (Emily real name).

They were like three naughty school kids at times. Having a sherry on two too much when baby sitting for my sister as I was not old enough to. Giving my sister sweets, just after mom had told her off. Throwing tea away that we had been told "your not leaving the table till it is finished".

They were all into baking. Pem for her macaroons, coconut cake and pinapple upside down cake , as well as many varieties of milk pudding. Lillian for pastries, pies and cup cakes. You could never drop in without something being fresh out of the oven, as if they knew you were coming.

This passed on to my mom, doing a mean lasagne, quiche, pavlova, and rollard. Never being a big cake maker, and always cursing pastries as they were not natural for her to make.










Now there is me, I can make pastry without trying or even weighing out. Cakes tend to be big cakes, as cup cakes need decoration, which is not my best skill. But always looking at ways to make healthier ones.



Yet I skills that frankly I do not use that offen. Pastries are not best for the waist line, and nor is cakes come to think of it. I at times throw my hand for special occations.


So I adapt these skills into making food from scratch, or different salads. Salads have been heavily influenced by my dear friend from South Africa. Adding colour and taste by having fruit in with vegetables, or simply trying something new like pear and cheese salad.

So this week we are having;
Chicken kiev, made from chicken breasts, cheese triangles mixed with herbs and garlic, served with new potatoes and fresh vegetables.
Steak seasoned with spices, jacket potoaoes and salad.
and Pasta arribiata with either fish, bacon or chicken.

1 comment:

  1. That generation really could bake with confidence but it is never too late to play catch up.

    I think our downfall is less time & an easy availability of ready bakes.

    Salads ... now we are talking, I am adventurous with those & love having a large, interesting one instead of cooked vegetables in warmer weather.

    Dee at the Carlton

    ReplyDelete